Tuesday, July 27, 2010

butterfly

while hiking in the woods i happened upon a creature unlike any I had seen before
I knew it was a butterfly
but it was much more than that
it had luminescent green wings
and as it flew time stopped
it rested a few yards ahead of me and i had to get a closer look
I approached slowly so as not to scare it
at a closer look i got lost in the interweaving patterns
on its wings
like an abstract painting it only got better the more i studied it
greedily i took another step towards it
and off she flew

i meant it no harm
but all the same it was gone
i waited there for hours
hopeful it would return
the patterns on the wings i once studied were lost in my mind
the luminescent wings had now been extinguished
i returned to the very spot every week for fear it would return
and i would miss it
you can't just find something as radiant as that
she finds you

yesterday it rested on a branch just a little up the path
i know it is the same beautiful creature i laid eyes on once before
not by the look, but by the feeling i get when i look at it
nothing else is in focus
i wish to get a closer look at her
but am reluctant to make the same mistake twice
any view is better than no view
but the intricacies of the wings is beyond my gaze now,
still
it is not my intention to frighten her
into flying off
again

No comments: