Monday, April 28, 2008

traveling companion

As I walked on my daily travels this morning, I came across a fellow traveler--someone who had no doubt been on the road longer than I have been alve. It was a little pebble, broke free from a larger stone, and it rested right in my path.

He joined me on my journey, rolling a few yards ahead of me, and then waiting for me to catch up. We played this game for some time. I needed the company, and he needed a ride.

Tumbling across the pavement he danced with every rhythmic obtuse skip which allowed time to stop for him as he momentarily glided above the ground before crashing down and coming to a rolling stop.

A tragic ricochet off a parking stop doomed my traveling companion. He was sent spinning out of control into the unknown. Rather than looking for him I left him be. I could not help anymore as he was swallowed by the pasture and waiting for the next traveler to come by and set him free,

I could relate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the bible says a lot of things.